Well, we are moving to a new place on the other side of Wisconsin, near the mighty Mississippi. And that means I need to dismantle the robot desk for transport.
Final uptime? 72 days, 2 hours, and 52 minutes. Not bad.
Sleep tight Desk, I’ll see you in a few days. shutdown -h now.
I’ve been using my DIY motorized standing desk for a couple weeks now, and am really enjoying it. I’ve been standing more than I thought I would, but when I get tired the flexibility to lower to a sitting height is really nice.
One thing I’ve noticed that at the end of the day my legs are quite tired, and my feet bothering me a little. Thankfully my anti-fatigue mat arrived last night. After one day using it, I can already feel a big difference. My feet feel much better, and while my legs are still a little tired, it seems to be a little less so than the other days.
The mat is pretty heavy duty and looks like it will last a while. Standing on it feels soft and firm at the same time, and almost like it molds to the feet. I’ve used it barefoot thus far, but will likely see what the experience with shoes is soon.
This is just the first day’s impression, but thus far it seems like a good investment.
By the way – I’m glad that my desk gives me fine grained control on the height so I can get the adjustment perfect with the various mat/shoes/etc arrangements I’ve been exploring!
This has been a long time in the making, and I’ve posted a number of times during the process:
This has been an incredibly fun project. It definitely would have been faster and probably more cost effective to just buy a desk or table lift, but the journey was well worth it.
Edit: here is the final operational desk, utilizing the 3 actuators
I have the control board for my DIY motorized standing desk wired up, and ran a test of the board controlling 3 linear actuators at the same time. I knew the wiring and software worked for 1 actuator, but this was the first time that I connected more than one actuator up. The desk will be lifted by 3 actuators so I needed to be sure this worked.
Here it is, worked on the first try and nothing caught on fire!
One thing of note – I had initially planned to control each actuator independently from the Raspberry Pi, with each relay signaled from a different GPIO pin.
However, in the midst of wiring the control board up I realized that it was possible that a software bug, crash, or other unforeseen scenario on the Pi could theoretically result in actuators moving in different directions, and that would be a Very Bad Thing (images of broken desks, shattered monitors, and crushed babies come to mind).
So they are all wired now on 2 GPIO pins (one for the “A” relays, and one for the “B” relays).
So now the leg apparatus’ are built, and the control board is working. Next step: put it all together!
Below are some useful reference materials for working with Raspberry PI:
Below are links to the repositories for the source code and roadmap:
I built the first leg of my DIY motorized standing desk this weekend. Check it out!
It’s working better than I expected. I rewired everything to run directly from the Raspberry PI instead of the Arduino, built the expanding posts, and connected everything up. Along the way I found a couple things to tweak for the next few legs.