We tried our first chicken tractor last year and it worked out well enough but it really was only big enough for 10 birds or so. It started out as a straight tractor, but as the season moved on and the birds got bigger we ended up just using it as a mobile coop.
You can see it below, surrounded by premier1 poultry netting.
As a mobile coop it worked ok, but had some limitations:
- Small wheels made it kind of tough to move over rough ground
- It was easy enough to move 8′ at a time (every day), but when it was time to move it across the farm, it was tough going
- Our bigger birds (such as pioneers/red ranger meat birds) weren’t able to get up into the roosting area very well
- Insuffient space for nesting boxes if we wanted to have laying-aged birds in it
This new design should fix the problems above:
- Big wheels make it go over rough stuff no problem
- Plenty of space for our layers and room for more
- Open floor means manure goes where it belongs – on the pasture
- Nesting boxes easily accessed from outside the coop
- Plenty of easy to access roosting space
Here it is, all put together and ready for its maiden voyage!
The birds will move in this weekend, and we’ll put them to work fertilizing and preparing the garden right away.