I love my Bose Companion 5 speakers, but had a bit of trouble getting them to work on a Toshiba Portege I recently rebuilt with Ubuntu. Here are the steps to get it working:
- Plug the speakers into a USB port
- Go to sound settings, the speakers should now appear. Select them.
- Open terminal and run sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
- Change last line that reads: options snd-usb-audio index=-2 to options snd-usb-audio index=-1
- In terminal run alsamixer
- Select the Bose sound card (F6)
- Use the arrow keys to increase the volume
- Fire up Pandora and rock out!